Chase's Journey

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

You Know You're Old When...

Kaely, Dave & I were discussing her social studies project this morning before school, she has to write a paper about a past president. She was complaining that she didn't know anything about Thomas Jefferson (who she chose), so we talked about researching it. I said we could look it up online later after school, or she could use an encyclopedia from the library. She looked at me funny and said, "What's an encyclopedia? I've never heard of that..."

SERIOUSLY?

Are we really past the point where kids don't even know what a freakin' encyclopedia is? How depressing...

Between that, and the conversations after Valentine's Day... she received a special gift from a boy in her class, including a dollar, which she said she bought him a Valentine's gram message thing with- but that she had originally planned on getting it for herself until the staff told her it's supposed to be for someone else. Sigh... I said, "Child! We need to talk about this... just not today"- (so scary, this whole 'growing up' stuff... plus trying to teach her about being selfless, and grateful to others...ugh)... so she finishes getting ready for bed, plops her butt on the foot of the recliner, tucks her legs under her and says, "Okay, let's talk now and get it over with"- WHAT? OMG.

I am terrified of the coming years... just saying... and whoever said that boys were easier never met Chase.

I'll leave you with some fun pics from yesterday/today :)

(Oh- and for the record- I recommended she NOT wear this... but in the end, decided to let her express her creative freedoms... LOL)

(yummmm... black bean soup)


1 comment:

  1. Oh $h!t! I am dreading it for you, and thanking my lucky stars I had a boy... At least I think it will be easier... Kids are sassy today. SASSY! However, the encyclopedia thing is not ok. Teachers shjould be pushing them. I plan to buy Ollie a set for his 8th Birthday. The internet is so full of crap! Oh, Jessika, I am so glad I get to live through you... because I need all of these warnings...

    ReplyDelete