Chase's Journey

Friday, December 7, 2012

Teeth, Teeth, and More Teeth

I preface this post by admiting my mistakes, feeling beyond horrible as a parent, and apologizing for the bloody picture (lol).

Honestly, this is about what NOT to do. My fear of going to the dentist started as a small seedling as a child, grew into an anxiety as a teen and young adult, and has now become a full-blown phobia. Combine that with absent insurance in years past, and you have the ultimate procrastination on getting to the dentist. This ended up happening to Kaely- since she was required in the past to get a prescription antibiotic the day of a dental appointment- it was hard to coordinate any last minute appointments. Lame excuse- but it is what it is. We found out at her cardiologist appointment last year that she no longer needs the antibiotics to go, but then we lost our dental insurance- and well... the chaos of the past year happened.

So... I finally made an appointment this past week, and got her to it following her losing her first- and then second- teeth- Finally!

So between my own fears & anxiety, and then guilt over having not taken her in... yeah... that long... I didn't want to go. But, no one else was available. So I did. The looks I got after her x-rays were done were enough to make me want to hide in the corner and cry. I stay on top of her about brushing her teeth for at least 2 minutes a day, rinsing with the fluoride mouthwash, etc. etc., but genetics suck, and I guess she needs a new lesson on brushing. Her x-rays came back with an orthodontic nightmare, and cavities to boot :(
 
I was just thinking- what? Not us! We're not "that" family- are we??? Then I realized that no matter how well I thought we may be doing at home- without things like fluoride treatments and constant care, disaster was bound to happen. Now, after a prescription for antibiotics and an appointment made in the next week or so for the dental work to occur, I have been slapped with a cold dose of reality.

The reason I share is for the sake of not repeating the same mistakes. They recommend seeing a dentist around their 1st birthday- but let me tell you, I've been calling around and a ton of places don't see them until they are 5 years old and up- WTF??? So, I will be trying to find one this morning for Chase. He's on tooth #7- and brushing is difficult when all he does is chomp down while I try to brush them. UGH

Sooooo... one way or another, find ways to get into the dentist for yourself or your children! I may be choosing the "put me to sleep" option to go- or maybe a mild sedative? LOL. Going into the healthcare industry, I know better- so shame on me. Prevention is soooo much more effective than treating after the fact! 

So Kaely? I am so sorry baby-doll, and hopefully with those brand new chompers you have coming in, we'll make sure they stay golden. Bad mommy!!!

Chase? Well, you have no choice- you'll be living at the dentist for the rest of your childhood now :/

Love you guys!


1 comment:

  1. Oh No!! I'm so sorry. What a terrible experience.... For you! Is it me or does Kaely look in fazed? I hate the dentist too. I go every couple of years. Adam on the other hand.... Not since he was in his 20s!!! He refuses.

    I'm looking for Ollie too. Let me know how you go.

    ReplyDelete