Chase's Journey

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Daily Dreaming

On a completely off the topic kind of post today, a little email showed up in my inbox about this contest to Rioja, Spain. What can I say? A dreamer at heart, the past year or two of Chase-related chaos has pushed the dreamer to the more pragmatic, practical side, and been in hiding. So what if the responsibilities of being a parent, spouse, student, and so on needs to take priority? I must say the need to daydream has to be a priority too. How easy is it to fall into the mundane, routine, and well? Boring.

So... I share with you my lofty dream list of what we could do if we won a trip to Spain...

For one, I'd love to take another stab at a romantic honeymoon (sorry babe, but we both know it's true!). Work is important, but sometimes, you just gotta seize the moment and live for today! We've talked about the trips to play in the wineries and explore food. I would LOVE to take cooking classes in another country- I can almost taste the artichokes, lamb stew and pears... YUM.If I had no responsibilities for a few days, I think I'd explore my bucket list- including things like paragliding, bungee jumping or riding in a hot air balloon. Or...explore the countryside on horseback, go hiking, or canoeing in the mountains.

I also had to laugh at the imagery of engaging in a "Wine War"- where you soak opponents with wine. This is soooo much better than wrestling in jello! It's an event held annually called  “La Batalla del Vino." 
The article about the destination of Rioja, Spain found here!

Can you believe how many wines originate from the Rioja region? I only discovered the wine about 8 years ago- always been a favorite- but holy cow! Here is a list that goes on for days and the reviews to accompany them. WINE



If only in a dream... 


Or.... we have the possibility of a trip to Monterey County  California full of wine tastings, fine dining, and exploring wine country here in our own backyard. How often do I walk up and down the wine aisles, only to select a wine from Monterey? Delicious! Again, I never imagined there were so many varieties out there though, Robert Mondavi and La Crema being a couple of my favorite wineries. The full list is here.

I feel like I've only lived through those reality tv shows, like The Bachelor, when they always seem to take the 'dream dates' to wine country, complete with private tastings and a picnic. Man, wouldn't that be awesome? I would love to just relax- inch by inch- listen to jazz, walk along the fields, and remember that I was once just a woman with a lot of artistic desires... before reality hit. :)


Then, there's Austria. Sigh... If I knew how complicated life would be, when I had the chance 9 years ago when I flew to Germany, I would've taken the time to explore more. Gone to Austria, Amsterdam, Italy, France, and so on... Hindsight? When I was over in Europe, I felt like I was "home." The culture, the sights, the smells, the richness of everything there... it was amazing, overwhelming, and opened my eyes to a lot of what I want for myself and my children. For instance- cooking, eating for the sheer joy of it- not just necessity- trying to have meals together, walk more, explore our roots and foundations... So much to be learned. Danube, Austria is just one of many places there that have just that. Swing over to Vienna, and let me tell you- I know that between coffee, wine, bread, and cheese- I may just have found heaven. Exploring the mountains and waterways- enjoying the journey as much as the destination... it's beyond amazing. The wines we don't get to try too much here, but when I used to enjoy the sweet, white wines, the Ice Wines and Reislings... couldn't go wrong with one from here. The Austrian wine list goes on and on!


The last afternoon dream I got to squeeze in was to South Africa... full of Shiraz, Cabernet, and Merlots- which seem to find their way into our home more often than not. This trip is to Stellenbosch, South Africa and holy cow- the thought of spending my days having wine-paired meals while taking in the vast landscapes?? It's not too far from Cape Town and the coast- which is something to be seen outside of the movies. We would have to bring our hiking boots, because to explore on foot has got to be the way to go. There is something to be said about escaping the bustle of big cities full of tourist attractions, and just taking in the laid back atmosphere of nature and those embracing it. The review list of South African wines can be found here.


I know the chances are slim- but if you don't have your dreams, you aren't truly living- and if for nothing else- our kids need to know that anything is possible! Savor every moment, and do things for the love of it.

Check out the contests at: Wine Enthusiast Magazine Contest


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS POST!!!!

    I am also going to steal this blog post!! You are so right about taking the dream out of the cloud and down to eye level!

    I want to enter that trip for you! I love your dreams, and the fact that you know so much about Roja!! Wait can I enter for you???

    ReplyDelete