Chase's Journey

Monday, March 11, 2013

Things That Boggle My Mind

This is going to be an ever-growing list I fear... but the main thing that initiated my rant, is school.

Here's the deal- I'm trying to plan ahead, and budget tuition, books, etc. for the rest of the semesters before I graduate, and am trying to wrap my head around the concept of internships. Not only are you not paid for internships, and you have to coordinate childcare for a full-time schedule with zero income, but you also have to pay the school for the credit hours that an internship is. To top it off, they consider an internship 15 credit hours- equivalent to approximately $3430 in tuition alone- that's based on this school year, not even next. Seriously? UGH. I keep wondering- soooooo... who gets the money for it then? Is it the place I intern at that gets free work done, and the school just sits back and checks in once a month?

Higher education at it's finest.

Don't get me wrong- I am ALL for education, I LOVE school (most days), and pretty much plan on always pursuing additional learning opportunities on some level. But... sheesh! It's such a business, and it's a wonder half of America is broke. I mean- once you finally get your degree, hold your breath and pray for a job, then you get to pay back all those loans to cover trying to live as you fork over any pennies you can find to go work for free somewhere. Go figure.

Okay, I'm done for the moment- there are plenty of other things that boggle my mind, but I'll leave it for another day :)

Things that make me laugh though? Kaely's friend came over yesterday to play for a bit... as he was getting ready to leave he was talking about how his mom gets mad sometimes- and he leans in close to whisper conspiratorially, "she got so mad at (his older sister), that she even said the "F" word (insert the gasp), and then she threw a chair!" - buwahahha! I had to appreciate this- especially because the pressure to be the 'perfect' (ha!) mom is overwhelming at times- good to know there are other 'full of character' moms out there too :) LOVE IT!

Happy Monday!


1 comment:

  1. OH GIRL!! Don't even get me started... wait too late!! There is a special place in hell for the College mafia. Right next to the college book store mafia! It is SHOCKING what they can and do get away with! You have absolutely NO choice either. DAMN THEM, STUDENT LOANS and the Intern Companies for robbing the poor!

    ReplyDelete