Chase's Journey

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Headbanging

90's Grunge style?

Nah...

Before Chase was ever born we were told about Dave's tendency as a baby/toddler to bang his head against the bed/walls... I just snickered and shook my head and didn't think much about it after the smart remarks...

Then Chase enters. He's been doing this crap for months now- and I can't, for the life of me, figure out why??? The only conclusion I can draw is the simple "ATTENTION!" factor. No lie, the more I read about random things, the more I feel like I'm starving this child of attention- but just about anyone around us feels the opposite- that I spoil the kid rotten. Well???

So I'm guessing it's an issue of undivided attention he desires?

I sit in my infamous chair at the kitchen bar/island area where my laptop permanently resides. This means Chase will go to one of two places- either to the one end of the kitchen, to the wall where a photo of baby shower pictures lives- and will sit below the photos and (full body motion) bang the back of his head against the wall. I'm just waiting for the stinkin' pictures to come crashing down. That, or of course he comes to the chair/stool that I'm on- and either stands there grabbing at my feet (I usually have them tucked under me), or he'll sit there banging his head against the legs of the chair. WTF?

Or, I'm cooking in the kitchen, so he'll alternate between making sure the pantry door is shut, trying to peek in the cabinets (childproof latch-challenge), or again, will sit against those cabinets- staring up at me, and start banging his head.

Sigh.

Or... in the shower- he'll play in the bathroom and I'll toss water at the (glass door), so then he went for banging the front of his head yesterday- standing there laughing while doing it.

I don't get it! Crazy boy.

Then, reading in my textbook the other day, about relationships and attachment styles. Children (around 1 yr) were tested in being left in a room with the mom, with a stranger and mom, and then alone with the stranger... they observed the responses regarding separation anxiety. This is why in the beginning they recommend always responding to an infant's needs, to help build their security. Anyway- reading it, it makes Chase seem like I have been insensitive and non-responsive to his needs- falling into the "insecurely attached" infant description of "showing less tendency to leave mom's side to explore and becomes severely distressed when (mom) leaves, often crying loudly... UGH! The "securely attached" babies use mom as a safe base for happily exploring the new environment and playing with toys, and when separated from mom, they appear to feel safe, expressed only moderate distress over mom's absence, and seemed confident that mom would return to provide care and protection. I dunno- he's usually okay once I'm gone- but geez!!!!

So... I guess, yes, I am neglectful and starve him of attention. Crap.


No comments:

Post a Comment