Chase's Journey

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Camping Fiascos

JessikaKazaros's Camping Easter Weekend 2013 album on Photobucket


Ah- Easter weekend camping. Originally I had not realized it'd be Easter weekend when I booked the spot, only that it was during Kae's spring break, and hey! It was available. We headed to Blue Springs State Park, and let the adventure begin.

Since Dave's work schedule was pushing out timeline a bit, we opted to take two cars, so I headed off in advance with hopes to get it all ready before he got off work. The weekend started off pretty smooth considering... the kids were laughing, I got the tent put up without much problem, and even had dinner ready by 5 or 6.

But then things like pre-teen (okay, 7 should not count in that age bracket, but still) attitudes, Chase being confined since he doesn't walk- so I didn't want him crawling in the dirt, having to keep the dogs on lockdown, etc... well, it quickly became a lot of effort!

Even after we survived dinner, started up with the marshmallows, and somehow, Kaely manages to burn herself with the roasting prongs- REALLY??? So big drama there... then bedtime and Chase's lightning bug scenario- which really had us stumped. Hoped to catch the March Madness game (UF) that evening, but no internet available (we're so spoiled) and we were all passed out by 9 anyway.

So we woke up to start a fire and get the water boiling for coffee, when I realized although I had put away all our food in the truck and locked it up, I left the Rubbermaid container of dog food on the picnic table- sealed and about a 18" x 6" container (at least) full of dry food. I couldn't find it the next morning- went nuts trying to go through the tent and truck thinking I must've just forgotten I had put it somewhere. Then though, maybe some jerk came by to mess with us... when eventually, Dave saw it back in the woods a good 20+ ft. from the table it had been on. The lid had been removed in the woods, and the container and measuring cup still intact. What on earth??? I realized after irritation led to concern, it had to have either been a really strong raccoon, or a really quiet bear. Oh crap.

After going to the store to get the dogs food, we were extra careful to put everything away. Although I got hardly any sleep as every sound made me think a bear was going to come knock our tent in. I was a little paranoid.

Then, at Blue Springs, you typically look forward to the water events- but because of the roller coaster in weather, the manatees were all hanging out at the springs, so there was no swimming allowed. Talk about drama and tears over this. Luckily, today (Sunday), Kae and Dave were able to swim in a sectioned off part of the springs since the weather had warmed.

Speaking of weather- did I mention we started off with 2-3 air mattresses- enough for everyone to have their own space- and ended up squeezing all 4 of us (and the dogs at the foot if you include that) onto the mattress... only to have a hole in there somewhere for the next day. That first night the temperatures dropped into the low 40's... I can't remember the last time I've been that cold. Even the little space heater I remembered I bought wasn't enough to warm us all. It was freezing!!!

Ah- and then there's the trains that run adjacent to the park. I saw the memo about that recently- but didn't realize that included all through the night too. Oh my... it was crazy!!!

Anyway- I do love the park, and the Springs... but have decided that the next trip must meet the following:


  • No dogs with us- or at least another group with us that can take turns hanging at the campsite
  • Chase MUST be walking. He cannot be contained that long, but I can't have him in the dirt like that
  • Kaely MUST lose the attitude. I am NOT prepared for this crap at this age. I expect it around 12-13 maybe, not now. 
  • Temperatures need to be stable- free from freezing nights and rain!
Ummm... yeah. So ultimately, looking for a vacation from our vacation now :) LOL. At least I can hope the kids had some fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment