Chase's Journey

Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Post-Baby Food Revolution

Sitting around the house today enjoying doing a whole lot of nothing- the topic of grocery shopping came up. This made me think, okay, I hit my post-30 birthday yesterday, have passed the height of the NICU crisis, and really need to start getting back into a healthy routine. Yes, I'm counting down for my 6 week checkup to get cleared for exercise & activity- but I really am running out of excuses regarding eating healthy everyday.

The perks of breastfeeding include the approximate 500 extra calories burned daily simply by feeding your child (and saving a ton of money and your sense of smell vs. formula)... but it also means the chore of eating. Hard to explain unless you've been pregnant and realize how much of a task eating enough- and enough of the good stuff- really is. Granted I'm free to eat sushi, cold cuts, and a lot of other tabu foods once again- so yay! But I have to eat more calcium rich foods than even in pregnancy, as much protein, iron, whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc. When you factor in a 20 minute feeding every 2 hours, plus sleep somewhere, taking care of Kaely, the dogs, the house, my hair, and so on- the eating part gets pushed aside- LOL.

Soooooo- I've decided to put it back on the priority list today- because it's Chase's medicine so to speak, and he needs every bit of good nutrition he can get. So this is my public announcement of my own delayed New Year's Resolution... and in another 2 weeks I'm itching to get back on the yoga/pilates kick and to try out letting Kaely ride her bike to school while Chase & I walk/jog... can't wait!

Chase's updates? He is being happily cuddled between mom & dad, and continuing to gain weight, a bit of chunk, and looking wonderful. He exercises his lungs when he wakes up- but is quickly sated by being fed. Simple needs... he keeps having increased periods of alertness, which is kind of odd to adjust to now- he spent a good hour this morning staring and checking it all out. So we have lots of "chats" and exploration during this time... put him into a "newborn" sized outfit today- filled it out pretty well aside from the length of the sleeves- he's growing so quickly! Just trying to savor these moments with Dad here, and the gorgeous weather outside, these moments go by too fast.


No comments:

Post a Comment