Chase's Journey

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Homemade Baby Food- Is It Worth It?

Alrighty. Buying baby food when you're first starting out is no biggie, since you're really only experimenting and don't "need" it yet. So usually we get Gerber at Target for:
Stage 1 is 2- 2.5 oz container (5oz total) for $0.99
Stage 2 is 2- 3.5 oz container (7oz total) for $0.99

I often find coupons and all, so it's not too bad... but now Chase is really starting to eat- a total of at least one container a day-and starting to lean towards 2 now. So about $1/day. I've been thinking about doing homemade baby food anyway, but after our day yesterday, thought I'd give it a try. Fortunately, I already have an immersion blender which helps. Add in the time to peel, chop, steam/bake and puree the food (about 1 1/2 hours total)... well... So the cost came out to this:

2 packages of 8- 4oz containers $4.58 (total)
0.46 lb peaches (2 small ones)      $0.73 - made 4 oz
0.44 lb pear (1 lg one)                  $0.51 - made 4 oz
0.25 lb apple (1 small one)           $0.30 - made 2 oz
0.30 lb banana (1 med one)          $0.16 - made 4 oz
0.74 lb sweet potato (1 lg one)     $0.66 - made 8 oz
0.25 lb green beans (fresh)           $0.50 - made 3 oz
0.25 lb carrots (about 4)              $0.25 - made 3 oz

I also have a new found appreciation for how much these kids are actually getting in the food. Honestly- if he eats a full 2.5 oz container of peaches like he did this afternoon- that's about 1 full peach. Or 2.5 oz container of carrots must be around 2 1/2 carrots. Crazy!

I'm not sure how much I'll be doing this- considering the cost & time/money/value is about the same. But soon enough he'll be eating off our plates anyway :)







1 comment:

  1. oh boy, babyfood making! I made select items for Mason -- mostly when I would find things for cheap I'd buy them in bulk (carrots, sweet taters, butternut squash...) and make a load and freeze it in ice cube trays. With Lincoln, I was forced to make everything homemade :( bc of his allergies -- turns out that store bought babyfood isnt so pure :) Oh, btw about apple -- unsweetened applesauce, same thing! I say kudos for you! Even if our next babe is allergy free, I'm sure I'll still make as much of my own as I can. Can't beat knowing exactly whats in it :)

    ReplyDelete