Chase's Journey

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

How to Discipline a Baby...

No- not "punish"- but discipline. Guidelines, teaching, etc... but I swear! Everything I look up talks about either "shame on you" for looking it up, or disciplining things like pulling socks out of a drawer, or banging spoons, or tugging on glasses. Hello! I'm not that stern to believe a baby shouldn't be curious and constantly exploring... that's not my real issue. My issues are things like biting when nursing (still!- and I've tried just about all the suggestions), or lately, his screech- seriously- if you've been here for the full-on screech he has, you'd understand. It makes your brain cells slam into each other and quit working- full on headache and your blood pressure to shoot through the roof. 

What did I find on this subject of the screeching? (Ages 12-18 months supposedly):

 To keep your sanity intact, remember that your child isn’t trying to ruin your dinner; he’s only testing his vocal cords. 
Bring quiet toys and books to occupy his attention. If he can’t stop shrieking, take your order to go (if out to eat)
“Children this age don’t have the self-control to inhibit a behavior like this,” Lerner says. “Just keep explaining the rules, and by age 2 1/2 to 3, he’ll begin to understand them and be better able to act on them.”

By 2 1/2 - 3???? Are you flipping kidding me? I may not have any hair left and my frown line between my eyebrows will be completely permanent...

Sigh... I can handle chasing after him playing in the dog's water, or trying to eat my flip-flops constantly, or pulling my hair (most the time- it's my face/skin that he grabs that hurts like crazy)... all those things I expect, while they are exasperating, they are understandable. I just don't know what to do about these "cries" for attention if you will- because they happen when I'm right there, either feeding him, playing with him, etc- so it's not like I'm ignoring him (which is one of the suggestions/accusations), and I've been trying to get a frowny face when he does it, then correct by signing and saying "More please mom" or something along those lines with a big smile... but then a second later he does the screech again. 

Oh- and throw on the arching and throwing himself backwards crap- I just put him on the floor now and walk away. But is this the right approach??? Ahhhh! He's such a different creature from any child I've ever worked with- and I feel horrible about how frustrated and tired I am by the time I put him to bed at night. Oh- and trying to explain things in a calm patient manner? Sure- all the time- especially when my nipple has become a teething toy and he's thrown every single toy or snack onto the floor in a fit of temper. UGH!

Oh well... any suggestions/opinions/thoughts are welcome at this point. Anything I thought I once knew no longer applies to this little creature known as Chase :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment