Chase's Journey

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Operation: Sandhill Crane

These cranes have gone back for a couple years now- specifically this pair has gone back at least since last year. How do I know? Because the one has a foot that is inverted- which is just like my duck's that I had raised from an egg as a kid- his was like that too. Kaely had named the two Allie & Alexander. The video was from last December in our backyard- they have little fear of us- which in turn startled Kaely- lol


Since we got home from the hospital in January, and began walking to school in February, I noticed that they had built a nest in the middle of a dried up retention pond a couple houses down from us. I pass it every day- about 4 times when you consider taking Kae to school and back. The mother crane always raises her head and watches us as we pass. The father (the one with the messed up foot) is always out scavenging for food. I've noticed that she has been planted in the nest for the past month- I'm not sure if the egg has hatched yet, but I know it'll be soon if it hasn't. I was concerned a week or so ago when we were expecting a lot of rain- since the ponds are normally very full- I thought the nest/egg/baby might get washed out. 

Little did I know there were greater concerns. I noticed some surveyors the other day with blueprints out, and discussing the plant growth (with such low water levels, of course all sorts of grasses have grown over), I didn't expect to see them putting out flags a couple days later, and then today I was startled to see the tractor out in one of the three retention ponds, starting to dredge it up (again- this was done last fall). The worries are over the fact that this nest is going to be disturbed as a minimum- if not actually destroyed. Fortunately- this was not the pond being worked on today- but I know it seems to be on the agenda. 

I made some calls, as the Sandhill Crane is a federally protected species. I am trying to find out who is in charge of the project- the county, the homeowner's association, or someone else? There are a few resources I uncovered, and am hoping that at least these birds have a chance to relocate before the work is done. I know that they can do so once the baby is a bit bigger, but until then... I guess I'm one of "those." Being around a family full of real estate people- I know this is their worst nightmare- but to me? I have a personal attachment to this little family, and I can't help but try and fight for them. 



"Allie" in her nest


No comments:

Post a Comment