Chase's Journey

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Dr. Alexander on "Arnie's March"

The special  (can be seen at http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Arnie-s-March-The-Tournament-The-Hospitals-The-Legend/-/1637132/9296810/-/eviktb/-/index.html) aired Tuesday night about Arnold Palmer's contributions to golf, hospitals, etc- and I realized now why there were all the film crews there when we were camping out (at least I think that was the reason). To see Dr. Gregor Alexander- who the unit was named after- on television brought back all sorts of memories. Largely the one memory being one of the first days, he was the one who came to tell us that Chase had to go on both caffeine and forced air to help stimulate his breathing. This was after Dave and I had been able to hold Chase all morning kangarooing- he kept having his "brady" episodes, so the nurse made us put him back in his isolet saying we overstimulated him...I believe that was Monday, January 2nd- which was the worst 24 hours of our stay- including the night of the "Dragon." -I digress. What I do remember though, was that I had no clue who the doctor was, only that he was giving me news about our son, and he had green eyes and was extremely compassionate and warm when explaining what was happening. All I knew was that he shared our son's middle name, and that I was absolutely terrified. I walked away because I was crying and couldn't talk. That began the day or two of not being able to hold Chase as he was confined to his isolet to avoid any stimulation. I didn't understand how to cope with not being able to hold him-restricted to touching his head through the windows of the isolet. I would sit there on a chair with my forehead against the glass, almost hugging the isolet- simply watching him- trying to get a grip on my emotions. I say this now while he is peacefully asleep on my chest- but the memory and emotion is so vivid. At least I now know Chase was in the best hands possible.

Point is- seeing all this brought it all back, and made me wake up a bit to remember never to take it for granted. Listening to the dings and chimes of the alarms in the background of the broadcast sent chills up my spine and brought tears to my eyes. We overcame 24 days of uncertainty and fear (not including the months prior and following)- but the recent weeks have done a wonderful job of erasing and replacing that fear with adoration and a sprinkling of healthy annoyances :) So what if he is a little spoiled- these are days and hours that can never be replaced- and knowing all we've been through together, I say it's well deserved.

(I walked away to make breakfast and apparently he decided to attack the monkey since he was mad)



That's why the little moments every morning may look the same to some, but I will never tire of being a part of:


No comments:

Post a Comment