Chase's Journey

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Mommy Time-Out

Ahhhh- the dog days of summer make the temperatures- and tempers- inside the house boil sometimes. Yesterday was, well? Challenging to say the least. It started off okay, putzed around in Kaely's room, moved a few things around, had my coffee and played with Chase... then the stupidest things started to build- not being able to get the coat rack thing in Kaely's room to hang up (it's one of those things that has 4 screws in the wall, and you have to match up the holes exactly right, then pull down to secure it...)- so a job that should take 30 seconds took over 30 minutes. All the while Chase had tired of playing on the floor, and Kaely kept making comments about- wow, shouldn't you be done by now? (steam coming out of ears- mouthing bad, bad words, muttering to the wall)...

Okay, so it's done, time for snack/nap/etc- sit down to relax for a bit- then get the message from my sister that she cannot watch the house/dogs next week afterall, so my plans to spend the week with Dave just went down the drain. My frustration and temper started into a rapid boil- and I start asking around if anyone wants a dog. Hmmm. Enter in Kaely playing with her toys, singing, in constant motion- doing nothing wrong really, but I just needed quiet. So she starts playing in the rolling chairs in the kitchen for the millionth time, which I've threatened to once again make her sit on the floor instead of at the table. Wouldn't be the first time.

Sigh... I decide what I really need is a shower. So Kaely asks to watch Chase (same room), so I let them play on the bed, she starts climbing on the footboard- which, another thing that I've told her not to do a million times (loosens up the whole frame)... so I get the usual "Oooops! Sorry!" (not very genuine)- enter into the shower. I end up having to hop out to grab something real quick, and look out- what do I see? She's sitting on the flippin' footboard again. OMG. I scare her, then enter into the shower once again.

Alrighty- at least I'm clean, so I offer to make lunch- she wants her ham & mayo sandwich, so I throw that, and a few pretzel crisps and juice together for her. She pops in a DVD game thing (old school Lion King one), and eats all her chips. Then informs me that the ham is gross and she should've chosen the turkey (mind you, she picked it out at the grocery store)... she then proceeds to finish off her juice and continue to make faces, and try to make herself gag. I'm ready to lose it. So after a good 20 minutes of this, I offer her to eat the sandwich or go lay down. She opted to lay down. Seriously???

30 minutes later, I've cooled down a bit, so I decide I wanted to go to Target to grab the diapers that were on sale. Load everyone up in the truck, buckle them in, and go to start the truck. WTH? Click, click, click... it won't freaking start! I just sit there staring at the dash, going, you have GOT to be kidding me?? So I get out to pop the hood, get it up, and low and behold? It starts raining on me. I just had to laugh- I felt like I was coming out of the looney bin. So I go back to the seat, look at the kids, and give it another try... nope. Nada. Unload everyone, and contemplate opening up a bottle of wine. But crap, it's only 2-3pm...

So instead I decide to tackle a sewing project (one of those grocery cart seat covers)- because the methodical nature of cutting/measuring/etc is somehow soothing. Kind of like cleaning/organizing can sometimes be. So of course Kaely wants to help, and Chase has missed yet another nap, so we all end up on the living room floor. We survived dinner without much incident, and managed to calm down for the rest of the evening. Well, until I turned on the tv around 7:30, and it sounded like it was going to blow up. Sigh...

Managed to get Chase bathed, Kaely in the shower, Chase in bed, and then Dave arrived early for a Friday night- and I'm sure I looked worse than something the cat dragged in... fortunately, when Chase woke up this time, Dad was there to help, and Kaely accepted her bedtime. For me? A glass of wine was mandatory, and a much needed end of the day.

Happy Friday the 13th. UGH.


1 comment:

  1. Amazing. I would have completely lost the plot. I don't know how you do it...

    ReplyDelete