Chase's Journey

Friday, February 10, 2012

Feeling Human Again May Take A Village...

Getting motivated to take a few photos with Kaely & Chase meant getting the energy up to straighten my hair & put on makeup... standing back (an hour or so later) and looking in the mirror, I think, wow- what a difference- I look half human! It is so sad that I've come to the point in my life that I have to rely on makeup to look alive (I have faith this is temporary- once I can sleep again and be more active I think I'll be a smidge better). How on earth did I ever do this every day for work? Do my hair, do my makeup, get dressed, etc? When I walked out in the sundress over the weekend for the photos with Dave & I, I believe his exact words were "Woah- I know what I'm getting you for Valentine's Day" -as he's laughing at me, I am beyond white- more like translucent (his gift would be a spray tan). Come on, Chase is darker than I am- hahaha. Point is though- that as silly and superficial as all this is, it makes me feel soooo much better to feel human and feminine, and just wish it didn't take so much effort!

The past week or so has inspired me to truly make a date (yes, I wish it were with my husband- working on that part) for myself. To get out for an hour or two and get pampered. Fortunately I get the pleasure of making it a girl's afternoon as well- and you know? Something as simple as planning to get our toes done is nearly as exciting as anticipating Christmas morning. So my advice to new moms is to eventually build up the confidence enough to escape for a little bit of time to try to remember what you used to look and feel like. I will never be the same person- that is okay- but I don't want to lose myself entirely.

Lucky for me though- Chase doesn't seem to mind if my hair is a mass of curls, or all you see are freckles all over my face, or heck, even if I smell like milk all day :) So since he's the one who sees me most, I say it's not so bad. My lovely daughter, however, likes to remind me of the changes- hence the infamous questions of "why do you still have a belly?" or "why are you wearing your pajamas still?"... ehhhhh... oh well :)

Happy 6 weeks my beautiful baby boy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment