Chase's Journey

Sunday, February 5, 2012

I'm Creating a Monster!

Happy 39 weeks gestational age! (LOL)... He still has 1 more week until he was actually due- so it's still bizarre that we've had so much time together already. This is where things get sticky...

Because he was a preemie, and we had so many challenges being in the NICU, the primary focus was providing him an environment as close to the womb as possible. Keeping him kangaroo'd and nuzzling as often as we could, minimal stimulation, and just sitting there staring at him for hours. Now, as he's starting to get to the "age" of a newborn, I'm wondering at what point we should start to introduce more "normal" activities, and worry about spoiling him. Hahaha... okay, in reality I'm a believer of not being able to spoil a baby- that by cuddling them and comforting them (almost) all the time, that you give them the security & safety that builds a confident and independent baby/child later on. At least that's what I've seen- exhibit A? Kaely. She was "spoiled" rotten as a baby, and is one of the most independent children I know. She knows she can explore or take chances and I'll be here if she needs me.

In the meantime... I have noticed how ridiculous it is with Chase... he knows the differences between his bed and us, and I can do just about anything I want, write on the blog, walk the dogs, put away dishes- as long as he's near me, he's happy as anything and will sleep peacefully. But put him in his bed and it'll be short-lived. Way to help that is use of white noise, and swaddling, but it still reduces his time in half. I have found the bouncy seat or swing to be useful for the sake of showering though- the noise of the shower or blow dryer keeps him snoozing!

So- at what point do you have the "tough love" approach and believe that they should be able to be on their own for stretches of time and all that? I'm still kind of in the mindset that he should still have possibly been in me- but then again- chances are he'd have been born by now too. I know I'm creating a monster- but sadly half of the comfort is for me too... lol. Oh well- for now I'll enjoy every moment- and hope the answers will become clear!

Here is him as I'm typing this post (haha):

How he spends part of the morning- just checking things out :) Wish I had a camera that does him justice though... he's too funny!

 Here's to enjoying another beautiful day! Oh- and Happy 1st SuperBowl Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment