Chase's Journey

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Hearts That Make a Home

Yes, I'm grateful to be home versus at the hospital, but every day I realize it's sooooo much more than that. 

First, what makes me stubbornly keep my feet planted here in our house against other options, is because I can't move our neighbors with us! I cannot believe we're coming up on 4 years here, and 4 years since we were delivered homemade scones while Dave & I were outside busting our butts in the yard. Since then, whether we liked it or not (which of course we loved it), we were adopted and have been looked after- family that chose us. The other night there was a scare (I won't mention details), but point is- made me realize how important it is for us all to have neighbors and people to look out for each other. 

Speaking of... this was just delivered to us- I mean, what child doesn't want to grow up in Mickey Mouse World??? We are sooooo spoiled- between everyone who works for "The Mouse" and allows us to visit every year, but the nightly fireworks we watch from our backyard that are set off at The Magic Kingdom. I mean, we sit in Kaely's room and see the whole show. Years later we rarely even notice the booms- how sad to take something that magical for granted??



The yard... the poor, poor yard... how much I loved to work in the yard... between the mini-paradise koi pond we had hand-dug (hahaha) until the stupid cranes & heron came and ate all my fish and I finally lost it and filled it in... to the crazy hibiscus bushes that are now taller than me... I look at the fact that the past year of bed rest and craziness has kept me from playing in the yard, and how we'll have to re-sod or seed the whole stinkin' yard now... but man I miss playing in the dirt, planting seeds and having a living display of art & creativity. The same reason an apartment/condo sounds wonderful is the same thing I'd miss... (if anyone knows of any adopt-a-yard charities, let me know! LOL- I could use help getting green grass again)

Every splash of paint, each stain, hole in the wall, etc. in this house tells a story... yes, it's just a house- I know this, and more house than we really need... but... so much blood, sweat and tears has gone into it, it's more than that. This is the longest I've ever lived in one place- and wanted to- aside from as a kid at my mom's. I am a nomad at heart, and have always wanted to keep on the move... but now? Something about the school Kaely goes to, the neighbors, the memories... well... it's hard to let go. 

At least I know that the dreams that brought Chase here to us, will follow us no matter where we go, and this will always be his first home- as much as it is ours... but photos like these are priceless :)

(Kaely over 3 years ago...)

No comments:

Post a Comment