Chase's Journey

Monday, February 27, 2012

Thinking Back...For Crying Out Loud!

As we had a mildly fussy day yesterday (honestly it doesn't really phase me, I don't notice it unless someone else mentions him crying), I thought back to the days of the NICU, and how the kid never cried! I recall saying something about it, and being reassured that soon enough he'd be crying like any other baby. But honestly, the only time he'd really cry was when he was being stuck in the foot for blood, or during diaper changes... the last days when he started to nurse exclusively and was able to begin his own schedule- then he definitely found his lungs- but before that he was so peaceful... LOL.

But no, I embrace every fussy day at home compared to a quiet day in the NICU (no offense)... I can't say I blame him though- no other way to communicate that hey! I'm hungry darnit! Or get this wet thing off me, or I need quiet! I'm exhausted!... I'd be frustrated too.

On the bright side I'm learning certain tricks that help- not always, but have begun going in order of trying... most are obvious, but some I stumbled upon by accident...

1. Feed him. Almost always solves the problem. But if he just ate and it isn't advisable to continue feeding him...
2. Change him- this usually occurs before feeding, but still worth checking
3. Burp him- even if he's already burped, or if it seems like it's been a long time- chances are there's a bubble in there hurting his tummy
4. Hold him- if he's put down... if it is not "mom" holding him, go on to #5
5. Give him to mom... he's still in the mama phase- and usually just being on me will calm him down- especially if there's been more than one person around that is not me, Kaely or Dave.
6. Swaddle him- this is for sleep purposes- for a naptime issue, it helps a ton
7. Turn on the giraffe- that makes the waterfall sounds, among others, this has to go with the swaddle otherwise it doesn't always work
8. Vacuum, blowdry your hair, turn on the shower, or put in the (V8 engine) truck- the white noise of these almost always calms him down and knocks him out... the only way I can drive long distances, shower, clean house or attempt to look human
9. Cover his ears- I find by holding him against my chest and placing my hand over his ears (while supporting his head anyway), it helps muffle the sounds and relax him- kinda like how I place a pillow over my head when I have a migraine to block out light & sound
10. Give him a bath- no, not a sponge bath- but a really warm bath where he is partially submerged. He absolutely loves the feeling of being in the water- it is a great thing :)

Anyhow- every baby is different, as is every day- but to keep from losing your mind, it's worth a try :)

This was last night after he ate a good 2+oz of milk w/the fortifier (lots o' calories - so daddy could help feed)-waiting on more milk and we'd tried half of those things... screaming bloody murder, so opted for the bath since he needed one anyway- this was the result
Happy baby = Happy Mom & Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment